You might be thinking about seeking out drug addiction treatment after friends or family members stage an intervention. Maybe you had a narrow escape that affected your health. No matter what causes you to seek out help, rehab is the right answer. What do you need to know about treatment opportunities today?
Drug Addiction Treatment Methods for Various Substance Abuse Problems
One of the most important modalities involves talk therapy. It typically takes the form of one-on-one or group therapy settings. Because counseling professionals understand that dealing with addiction at the root level is necessary, most treatments focus on the “why.” Examples of treatment models include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) that helps you replace negative thoughts, feelings, and behaviors with healthy ones
- Dialectical behavior therapy appeals to individuals who don’t respond well to CBT and need to focus on acceptance
- 12-Step facilitation is ideally suited for program participants who need help with alcohol and narcotics
- Family therapy incorporates individuals who live with you and will be instrumental in your healing and relapse prevention
- Talk therapy that conforms to your needs–therapists will be flexible to allow for growth and healing progress
Of course, these forms of drug addiction treatment depend heavily on the information the experts glean during the intake interview. For example, a program participant who arrives with a dual diagnosis requires a different approach from someone who doesn’t. Dual diagnosis refers to the presence of an underlying psychological disorder that may affect substance abuse. In some cases, it’s impossible to tell if the drug abuse contributed to the creation of the dysfunction or vice versa.
Another fact that factors into treatment options involves the presence of traumatic memories. Dealing with a trauma that dates back years or decades can significantly enhance the chances of getting to the “why” of using. Again, taking this path calls for a varied approach the therapist will take to help the individual through the process. Because therapy is a collaborative effort, getting modalities into alignment with client needs is significant at Step to Recovery.
Choosing a Treatment Setting that Works for You
Each drug addiction treatment takes place against the backdrop of a setting that works for the program participant. Examples include:
- Partial hospitalization programs for treatment of individuals who want to remain living at home
- Intensive outpatient treatment – IOP – works well for people with moderate addictions who have responsibilities they can’t put on hold
- Outpatient rehab allows graduates of the other programs to step down in care with an eye on leaving the facility
- Sober living settings provide opportunities for trying out trigger responses and daily tasks with a strong safety net
It can seem like a daunting decision to choose a drug addiction treatment framework for your recovery. But it doesn’t have to be. Skilled intake counselors help you decide on the right backdrop for your therapies. Moreover, they can also assist you with settling in and making necessary arrangements for longer stays.
Remember that addiction isn’t something you can cure overnight. In many cases, it requires years of undoing learned behaviors. In other cases, there are copious situations to work through that you cannot expect to tackle in a short week. There’s nothing wrong with taking the time you need to recover and heal.
Do You Need Drug Addiction Treatment Today?
If you or a loved one is struggling with a substance abuse problem today, don’t wait to get help. Whether you’re dealing with alcohol, cocaine, opioids, or any other type of drug, there’s help for your particular situation. The experts at Steps to Recovery work with you to put you on the road to recovery. Don’t put it off for another day. Call 866-488-8684 right now.