With unemployment at 6.3% and above average earnings, residents of Lansdowne are in a better position than many others in Pennsylvania and the US as a whole. However, even when in work and with healthy finances, this doesn’t mean that your life is trouble free. If you find that you have other worries, these can have a negative impact on your mental wellness and this may encourage you to use alcohol or drugs as a coping mechanism. While a drink in the evening or taking recreational drugs at weekends may seem harmless, these are potentially addictive habits and you can soon become hooked. Once under the hold of alcohol abuse and drug abuse, it is not easy to escape without specialist addiction treatment. Steps to Recovery can help you gain access to local substance dependency services, as we offer drug and alcohol treatment centers close to Lansdowne PA.
Risks of Substance Dependency
The temporary relief that drinking and drug taking can offer is minimal compared to the adverse consequences that can arise from these destructive habits. Some of the risks that come with heavy alcohol use and drug misuse include:
- Damage to your physical health. Even if you do not suffer alcohol poisoning or a drug overdose, you also risk long-term health problems from drug abuse and alcohol abuse. For instance, drinking heavily strains your liver and heart, and makes you susceptible to digestive upset, various cancers and brain damage. Meanwhile, smoking drugs such as cannabis and crack can irritate your airways, injecting heroin or cocaine risks serious infections, and stimulants like amphetamines and ecstasy can lead to a heart attack.
- Poor mental health. If you already have mental health problems, drinking alcohol and drug taking is likely to make these worse. Alcohol misuse is linked to clinical anxiety and depression, while marijuana, cocaine, crystal meth and hallucinogens like LSD can all increase your risk of mental illness.
- Your productivity at work may also suffer due to hangovers and comedowns, with increased absenteeism also a risk. Some people even find that they need to give up their job or are asked to leave due to the impact of their substance misuse.
- You drift away from family and friends, either spending more time alone or developing connections with others that share your unhealthy habits.
- You may suffer financial hardship if your drinking and drug use gets out of control.
- You may fall on the wrong side of the law if you take risks or behave inappropriately when under the influence.
If you can identify with any of these negative effects, it is a clear signal you have a problem with substance abuse and you need professional help. Talking with our helpful team can guide you as to which is the best alcohol and drug treatment program near Lansdowne PA for you.
Choosing a Drug and Alcohol Recovery Program Lansdowne PA
Although residential rehab is often chosen by people looking to recover from an addiction, it is a misconception that this is the only option open to you. At Steps to Recovery you can choose inpatient treatment for alcohol and drug abuse if this suits you, but you can also choose from two other styles of treatment if you prefer. The advantages of each are outlined below:
- Residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation Lansdowne PA. This provides you access to intensive therapy and support, as well as offering you a structured environment. If you have limited support at home and your life lacks structure, inpatient rehab is ideal. With residential treatment centers within easy reach you are also close enough to home so that your family can still visit you during treatment for your addiction.
- Partial hospitalization. On this program you still take part in therapy most days, but supported accommodation is not provided as part of your treatment, so you continue to live at home. A daily commute is manageable thanks to the closeness of our alcohol and drug treatment facilities to Lansdowne PA.
- Outpatient Addiction Treatment. If you do not need such intensive therapy, are well supported at home and want a more flexible program of care, receiving therapy as an outpatient allows you to continue with your existing commitments and stay in your own home.
Aspects of Alcohol and Drug Treatment
Therapy sessions on a one to one basis with an addiction counselor are a valuable part of treatment for alcohol abuse and drug abuse, but these are just one component of the programs we offer at Steps to Recovery. Our clients can look forward to participating in the following activities as part of their treatment for substance dependency:
- Group therapy. Interactive discussions with your peers enable problem solving, offering you further ideas to cope with triggers and cravings. You will also benefit from the tremendous support your fellow clients offer during group based counseling.
- Family therapy. If you regret the impact your destructive habits have had on your relationship with your loved ones, family counseling allows you to reform these connections so that you have strong support from those close to you once you finish drug and alcohol rehab Lansdowne PA.
- Complementary therapies. From needle acupuncture to yoga classes, a range of additional treatments are on offer, all of which are proven to benefit recovering addicts. These enhance your mental well-being and give you further support with cravings management.
- Skills based learning. When you are fully equipped for life after rehabilitation for substance dependency, you are more likely to remain sober, as when you are coping well you are less likely to give into temptation. We can help you with everything from preparing nourishing meals on a budget to skills that are useful in the workplace.
- Recreational activities. From movie nights and ice skating to regular gym sessions, residential clients will take part in a range of activities during their leisure time each week. This offers a chance for relaxation, bonding with your peers, a boost to your physical and mental wellness, as well as showing you the value of including similar activities once you complete alcohol and drug treatment Lansdowne PA.
Charities and Groups Lansdowne PA
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church: 122B Bartram Avenue, Lansdowne, PA 19050
- Community YMCA of Eastern Delaware County: 2110 Garrett Road, Lansdowne, PA 19050-1008
- Boys and Girls Clubs of America: PO BOX 326, Lansdowne, PA 19050-0326