Ardmore is a popular area with graduates, with more than 60% of residents educated to degree level, and unemployment rates lower than average for the state. However, good job prospects doesn’t guarantee that your life is trouble free living here and if you run into difficulties you may look for ways to cope. While getting to the root of your problems is the obvious solution, this is often easier said than done, so you may find yourself looking for an easy distraction. All too often this can mean drinking or drug taking, which aren’t without their own problems. While you may convince yourself that you are in control, it is easy for alcohol abuse and drug abuse to take over and complicate your life further. Thankfully, if you can recognize that you need help with a drink or drug habit, Steps to Recovery offers addiction treatment locally. When you sign up to one of our drug and alcohol recovery programs close to Ardmore PA we can help you leave your destructive habits behind and move forward in your life.
Negative Consequences of Substance Addiction
A daily alcoholic drink can put you at ease and you may find that smoking the occasional joint helps you relax, but once you start using these and other substances in larger quantities and more frequently, they can take their toll on your health and your life in general. Just some of the negative effects of drug abuse and alcohol abuse include:
- Physical health problems. Even if you avoid alcohol poisoning or overdosing on drugs, long-term use leaves you susceptible to a variety of medical conditions. For instance, smoking marijuana or cocaine damages your lungs, IV heroin use increases your risk of life-threatening infections, alcohol, opiate and crystal meth abuse can harm your liver, and you are much more likely to suffer an accident when you are drunk or high.
- Mental health problems. At the time you may feel a greater sense of well-being after a drink or using drugs, but it is common to feel low and anxious once the effects wear off. With a history of poor mental health you are also at risk of further problems if you abuse cannabis, ecstasy, methamphetamine or LSD.
- Problems at college or work. If you feel rough after drinking or drug taking the previous night, you will perform poorly in class or in your job, and you may even need to take the day off to recover. Over time if your productivity drops and you have poor attendance, you may even be asked to leave.
- Financial problems. If you lose your job this can bring with it money worries, but supporting a drink or drug habit is also an expensive business.
- Difficulties at home. You may become distant from your loved ones when you develop a problem with substance dependency and your relationship may deteriorate further if you deny that you have an addiction and turn down their help.
- Increased isolation. When under the hold of an addictive substance you tend to lose touch with friends and drop out of hobbies, and spending more time alone can worsen mental health issues.
- A criminal record. This may arise if you are caught in possession of certain drugs, but also if you drive under the influence or you turn violent as a result of your habit.
Even if you can only identify with one of the above, it is a signal you need help with substance misuse. Getting in touch with Steps to Recovery though can help you to successfully free yourself from the grip of your addiction with the assistance of one of our drug and alcohol treatment centers near Ardmore PA.
Enrolling in Addiction Treatment Ardmore PA
When you choose to address your drink or drug habit, Steps to Recovery provides several styles of therapy program, which you can select based on your needs. Within reach of your home you can access:
- Alcohol and drug detox Ardmore PA: This allows you to withdraw safely from your substance of choice before you begin an addiction rehab program.
- Alcohol and drug inpatient treatment Ardmore PA: Through an inpatient stay you give yourself the best chance of achieving recovery on your first attempt at substance abuse rehabilitation. This is down to daily therapy sessions, 24 hour support and a structured environment.
- Alcohol and drug outpatient rehab Ardmore PA: Attending fewer therapy sessions each week is possible if you need less intensive input and support. It is also preferred by anyone who wants to maintain their other commitments during the course of alcohol and drug therapy.
- Partial hospitalization Ardmore PA: If you want daily therapy for alcohol and drug abuse, but you still want to live in your own home, this is the ideal choice for you.
Alcohol and Drug Therapy Programs
As one of our clients you can take advantage of individual, group and family therapy sessions. One to one counseling is designed to allow you to concentrate on those issues specific to you and work with a specialist therapist to devise strategies to overcome triggers and cravings. Meanwhile, working as part of a group allows you to engage in discussion around more general problems you may face during your recovery journey and then participate in group problem solving to devise solutions. Additionally, family counseling sessions help you to restore a good relationship with those close to you so that they can offer you with support once you complete your drug and alcohol rehab Ardmore PA.
Besides talking therapies, you can also access complementary treatments. These enhance the effectiveness of addiction treatment programs by improving your mental wellness and quality of life, as well as giving you another way to cope with alcohol and drug cravings.
Rounded Alcohol and Drug Treatment
One aspect that helps to set our substance abuse recovery services apart from that of other providers is that we factor in extra activities at drug and alcohol treatment centers Ardmore PA. For example, if you have gaps in your skills, you can work on these during your time in rehabilitation, as when you are better prepared to cope with life you are more likely to stay sober. Alternatively, a variety of leisure activities are available to our residential clients, which are designed to help you unwind, bond with your peers and see the value of these for helping you keep up your abstinence after rehab. The chance to attend the gym several times each week also helps you to foster a healthy lifestyle, which again is protective, as you are less likely to fall off the wagon when you already adopt healthy habits.
Charities and Meetings Ardmore PA
- North Ardmore Civic Association: PO BOX 295, Ardmore, PA 19003
- First Baptist Church: 120 East Athens Avenue, Ardmore, PA 19003-2821