With more than half of its residents educated to degree level, this may help to explain the higher than average income and lower employment rates in King of Prussia. However, even if you are in a secure job and your finances are in good shape, there may be other reasons for you to worry. Whether you have difficulties in your relationship, concerns about your kids or you aren’t in the best health, you may find that you suffer from stress. While there are various approaches you can take to stress management, it is easy to fall into the trap of drinking to try to make your worries go away. While you are no doubt aware that this won’t resolve your problems, you may not appreciate the far-reaching consequences of becoming reliant on alcohol. This not only takes its toll on your physical and mental wellness, but can also disrupt your life in many other ways. Thankfully, Steps to Recovery has alcohol treatment centers near King of Prussia PA that can help you break your habit and stay sober.
Risks of Heavy Drinking
Although alcoholic liver disease is a well-known consequence of alcohol abuse, drinking heavily can damage other organs and make you more susceptible to mental health problems. Some of the problems that may arise when you drink in excess of recommendations, which for women is just an alcoholic drink daily and for men it is two, are:
- A greater risk of heart disease. Excess alcohol puts up your blood pressure, making a heart attack or stroke more likely. Your cardiac muscle is also more likely to suffer damage and you may develop serious palpitations.
- A higher chance of certain cancers. Alcohol is carcinogenic so when you drink large quantities you risk developing cancers affecting your mouth, throat, esophagus, liver, colon and breast.
- Digestive problems. Alcohol is an irritant, so can cause inflammation of the lining that covers your stomach and intestines, leading to pain, nausea and vomiting. You are also more vulnerable to stomach ulcers with heavy drinking, which can produce similar symptoms, though are dangerous if they rupture, as this can cause significant blood loss.
- Malnutrition. If you abuse alcohol to the stage that you start neglecting yourself, you may stop eating regularly and make poor food choices. This can lead to unintentional weight loss and nutrient deficiencies.
- Taking risks that place your health in danger. For instance, you may get behind the wheel when drunk or take risks with new sexual partners. You may also start abusing drugs and even if you limit this to marijuana and prescription medications, this can have serious consequences for your well-being.
- Damage to your brain and nerves. Alcohol is a toxin so can directly destroy nerve cells, leading to problems with cognition and memory. If you develop liver disease or B vitamin deficiencies as a consequence of alcohol abuse, this can also adversely affect your mental function.
- Depression and anxiety. Even though a single drink can lift your spirits and ease your worries, drinking more than this can make you susceptible to low mood and anxiety disorders, which is a particular risk if you have a history of poor mental health.
Signs You Need to Stop Drinking
It is easy to lose track of your drinking habits, but there are some clear signs that alcohol is having a negative impact on your life, in which case it is time to contact Steps to Recovery for expert alcohol addiction treatment. If any of the following sound familiar, you should strongly consider getting help at an alcohol recovery center King of Prussia PA:
- You would like to rein in your drinking, but you struggle to help yourself from having another drink
- You develop symptoms like the shakes and anxiety if you go a longer period without drinking
- Having a drink is now your number one priority, so you are paying less attention to your family, friends and interests
- Your work is suffering due to the effects of hangovers and the need to take more time off sick
- You continue to drink despite adverse consequences such as a hospital admission for alcohol poisoning or a drink driving charge
How Steps to Recovery Can Help
When you realize that your drinking has spiraled out of control and you need professional help to achieve abstinence, Steps to Recovery offers a range of alcohol treatment programs close to King of Prussia PA that will allow you to get and stay sober. From an initial alcohol detox to addiction rehabilitation and aftercare programs, we provide a comprehensive service that helps more of our clients to quit their addictive habits for the long-term, and with local treatment options available you don’t even need to travel miles to receive the expert help you need.
After an extended period of heavy drinking it is important that you detox from alcohol safely, which is why we offer supervised alcohol withdrawal programs. This allows your medical condition to be monitored while you clear alcohol from your system and lets you receive help with uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. While you detox this also gives you time to prepare for the rehabilitation stage of your program. At Steps to Recovery you can choose to complete inpatient or outpatient rehab, or even partial hospitalization that allows you to benefit from aspects of both styles of addiction treatment.
If you choose residential alcohol treatment near King of Prussia PA, you will receive daily therapy and have round the clock support if you need it. Living in an alcohol recovery facility will also keep you away from any temptation to drink that you may give into at home. However, as you aren’t far from where you live, it is easy for your loved ones to visit and we encourage that they do so, as your family play a vital role in your recovery. Inpatient treatment for addiction isn’t for everyone though and if you have a stable home life you may prefer an outpatient recovery program for alcohol abuse. As therapy isn’t so intensive on this style of program, it is possible to continue with other areas of your life such as study and employment, so treatment causes little disruption. However, if you still feel you would benefit from daily addiction counseling, but want to stay at home, partial hospitalization offers the perfect solution. The close proximity of our addiction treatment facilities to King of Prussia PA means that you can easily make the commute each day.
Personalized Alcohol Recovery Program King of Prussia PA
Although you will notice that there are various treatment centers for alcohol abuse across Pennsylvania, there are several factors that set our facilities and programs apart from those available elsewhere. One of these elements is that we offer customized treatment programs for every client. We do this because the evidence for addiction recovery shows that with tailor-made care you are more likely to succeed in rehabilitation. This is not surprising, as everyone comes to us with their own circumstances and problems, so by offering personalized care we can help you work through your difficulties so that you are in the best position to resist triggers for drinking after you complete addiction therapy.
Therapy for Alcohol Abuse
Knowing what to expect from therapy sessions before you start addiction treatment can help you feel more at ease with the process. When you enroll with Steps to Recovery you will take part in three styles of alcohol addiction therapy, which comprises counseling on a one to one basis, as part of a group and with your family. This multi-approach to therapy makes sure that you get the most out of rehab, so you are more likely to stay abstinent after you complete an alcohol recovery program King of Prussia PA.
Counseling sessions in private allow you to identify and work on the triggers for alcohol abuse specific to your own situation. With an addiction therapist you will put together strategies to help you deal with circumstances that will tempt you to drink so that you are able to resist these. Group therapy then takes a slightly different approach, as interactive discussion encourages you to think about more general issues you may face on your journey to recovery and group problem solving allows you to work as a team to come up with solutions. A group setting for counseling also carries the advantage that you gain a lot of support from your peers, which adds to the commitment of your therapists for your recovery. Meanwhile, family sessions of therapy help to restore relationships strained by heavy drinking. You may not realize the impact your destructive habits have had on those close to you and family therapy lets you hear their side of events. However, family counseling also gives you the opportunity to make them aware of the struggles you have faced. With greater appreciation on both sides you are able to move forward and your family is better able to provide you with the backing you need to stay sober for good.
Holistic Alcohol Addiction Recovery King of Prussia PA
Another aspect of our alcohol rehab programs that makes us unique is that we take a holistic approach to therapy. This means that we don’t just offer standard talking therapies, but we look beyond these to other therapies and activities known to benefit those recovering from alcoholism. For instance, you can participate in complementary therapies that range from acupuncture to yoga. There is evidence that these additional treatments are beneficial during rehab as they promote better mental wellness, which not only helps with your participation in talking therapies, but also means you have a more positive experience during rehabilitation for alcohol abuse.
As part of the comprehensive alcohol addiction treatment we offer you can also take up opportunities to develop your skills, which prepares you better for life after alcohol addiction rehab in King of Prussia PA. Some clients find that they need help with developing transferrable skills like communication and working as a team, which come naturally through taking part in therapy and group activities, while others need help with skills specific to applying for work. We are even able to offer practical guidance on completing tasks around the home, so if struggling to prepare a nutritious meal after a long day at work is an issue, we can show you quick and nourishing recipes. Whatever help you need regarding skills development, we aim to equip you with the skills you need to cope after completing your course of addiction therapy.
Making Time for Recreation During Alcohol Rehab
An extension of our holistic approach is to timetable in leisure activities for our residential clients. With a busy program of therapy time to unwind during recreation is vital, but the chance to relax isn’t the only reason to incorporate enjoyable pastimes into your program each week. Leisure time is another valuable chance to bond with fellow clients, which makes it easier to support each other during therapy. You may also find that friendships develop that you will carry forward, but even if you don’t keep in touch with one another, it shows you that taking part in hobbies is a good way to expand your social circle. Good social support is essential for lasting recovery, so this is something to think about when you leave an alcohol treatment program near King of Prussia PA. Seeing how much fun you can have without drinking is additionally important, as this shows you there is no need to pour a drink when you are in need of a pick me up. This is partly why we include gym sessions within the week, as exercise is a well-known mood booster, but adopting healthy habits can also keep you away from drinking, so is another good method to promote abstinence.