With the typical income of residents below the state average and unemployment rates higher than in many other parts of Pennsylvania, if you live in Darby you may face financial difficulties. When money worries get on top of you, it is easy to look for an escape and for you this may have meant turning to drink or drugs to help you forget your hardship. While this may provide welcome respite from your anxieties, drinking heavily and taking drugs can add to your weekly expenditure and cause far more problems than you may imagine. Thankfully, help is available if you become dependent on alcohol and drugs, with Steps to Recovery offering addiction treatment centers near Darby PA that can help you withdraw from alcohol and drugs.
Problems Caused by Drug and Alcohol Abuse
While a nightly drink or the odd joint can seem harmless, it is easy for these to become habits that you are unable to break. Once addicted to alcohol or drugs it is then difficult for you to break away from their hold and all the while they cause destruction. Some of the problems you may face when suffering from alcohol abuse and drug abuse are:
- Poor physical and mental wellness. While the link between heavy drinking and liver disease is well-known and the dangers of a heroin overdose are clear, you may not appreciate some of the other health risks associated with substance misuse. For instance, marijuana is far from a harmless substance, as cannabis can damage your lungs and place you at risk of serious mental illness. Similarly, prescription drug abuse can take its toll on your mental well-being, with antidepressants linked to suicidal thoughts, chronic use of anti-anxiety pills likely to worsen anxious feelings and sleeping pills prone to change your behavior for the worse.
- You are likely to find your performance at work suffers and you need to take more days absent if you are left with an unpleasant hangover or comedown. This may affect your earnings and if your productivity dips significantly you may no longer have a job.
- You may no longer be on good terms with your family and friends if your habit affects them and you ignore their concerns.
- You run up debts to fund your drinking and drug taking.
- You may act outside of the law to finance your habit or if you get behind the wheel when high or drunk.
Acting now can reduce the risk of further damage to your life. Make Steps to Recovery your first port of call for advice on how you can safely detox from drugs and alcohol. We can help you access a supervised alcohol and drug withdrawal program close to Darby PA.
Detox Programs Darby PA
Before you start a monitored withdrawal from your substance of choice, it is useful to know what to expect. When your body is dependent on drink or drugs, it is a shock to your system when its regular supply is withheld. This leads to a range of troublesome symptoms that affect you both physically and mentally. For example, you may experience sweating, shaking, muscle aches, headaches, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and insomnia. At the same time you may feel anxious, low in mood and irritable. When withdrawing from alcohol there is also a risk of seizures and even death, so it is essential your vital signs are monitored as you detox. With medical supervision you can receive urgent assistance if necessary, as well as symptom relief to make the withdrawal process more bearable for you. This makes you more likely to successfully detox from alcohol and drugs, allowing you to enter rehab for substance dependency.
Rehabilitation for Drug and Alcohol Abuse
Once you have got alcohol or drugs out of your system, the only way you can free yourself from your old habits is to take part in a rehabilitation program that will effectively prepare you to avoid the lure of drink or drugs. You can participate in therapy for drug abuse and alcohol abuse on either an inpatient or outpatient basis, with the former offering more intensive treatment and a supervised environment in which to stay. Whether you choose residential or outpatient care you will benefit from one to one, group and family therapy sessions. Each of these carries its own advantages, helping you to address personal triggers, work on wider issues that affect recovering addicts and restore your relationship with your loved ones. By letting you access this range of therapies you are in a better position to stay sober once your alcohol and drug rehab Darby PA is complete.
Comprehensive Rehab for Substance Dependency
Besides counseling sessions you will have access to a variety of other activities when you enroll at one of Steps to Recovery’s addiction treatment centers. For instance, if you suffer from poor mental health, complementary therapies offer a boost to your mood and can reduce anxiety levels, which is beneficial as when in better spirits you are more likely to beat your addiction. Alternatively, if a skills gap is holding you back in the employment market, we can help you develop your transferrable skills and offer guidance on completing applications and attending interviews. With improved job prospects you are less likely to relapse once you complete your drug and alcohol treatment Darby PA. Additionally, clients who receive their care via one of our residential programs can also take advantage of the opportunities we provide for leisure activities. Each week you will enjoy different pastimes with your peers that help you to relax and appreciate how much in life there is to take pleasure in without the need for drinking or drug taking. Another aspect of your leisure time is regular gym sessions. Restoring your physical fitness is just one of its roles, as you will also gain mentally from working out and when you embrace a healthier way of living you are less likely to want to make drugs or alcohol part of your life.
Groups and Charities Darby PA
- First Baptist Church of Darby: 925 Summit Street, Darby, PA 19023
- Darby Swim Club: 215 Highland Avenue, Darby, PA 19023-2006
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Pennsylvania: 816 Main Street, Darby, PA 19023