For someone struggling with alcohol addiction, long-term sobriety is the ultimate goal. For years, some believed that the only way to be successful in recovery is with residential treatment. But did you know that this isn’t necessarily true for everyone? In fact, customized treatment at an addiction counseling center like Steps to Recovery in Levittown, PA makes it possible to achieve recovery with intensive outpatient treatment.
Who Responds Well to Inpatient Addiction Counseling?
In an inpatient addiction counseling setting, clients with alcohol dependence are supervised around the clock as it’s often the next step after an initial detox. Program lengths vary, depending on a client’s needs, but the typical duration is anywhere from 30 to 90 days. That said, some facilities support residential treatment protocols lasting from six to 12 months. The level of structure, which characterizes the makeup of the inpatient residential treatment setting, can be instrumental for certain demographics, like individuals who:
- Live in an unsupportive home environment: For someone living with an enabling partner or spouse, overcoming an addiction is difficult. The same goes for the person whose household includes addicts who don’t want to receive treatment. In some cases, there’s open hostility between individuals in the home and the client receiving substance abuse counseling. In these situations, a residential program is the safest way to start their recovery journey.
- Have a toxic peer group: When a person struggling with an addiction is part of a larger peer group, rehab can be difficult in some circumstances. Examples include members of faith communities that don’t believe in seeking medical treatment or those whose peer groups deny that members have substance abuse issues.
- Has employment that’s connected to the addictive substance: An alcohol-addicted bartender, waiter, or similar professional may face an uphill battle if they try to stop drinking. Rather than being surrounded by alcohol and its paraphernalia daily, taking time away from work and home is instrumental.
Individuals who don’t fall into the categories listed above may benefit from outpatient treatment at an addiction counseling center like Steps to Recovery in Levittown, PA.
Who’s Ideally Suited for Outpatient Addiction Counseling?
Some clients don’t need the immersive nature that characterizes residential treatment as they don’t have close relationships, peer group interactions, or professional affiliations that threaten their recovery. Individuals who are excellent candidates for outpatient treatment at an addiction counseling center like Steps to Recovery may find that the requirements of residential substance abuse counseling jeopardize their recovery efforts. To be a good candidate for outpatient professional rehab counseling, you need to meet the following three criteria:
- Have a well-integrated lifestyle: If you have a job, are managing a career, or engaging in educational pursuits, you may be an excellent candidate for outpatient treatment. The same goes for someone with a stable home life. Although outpatient rehab is time-consuming, it’s possible to do with an established support network.
- Be committed to the program: If you’re willing to commute and attend therapy sessions and activities that are part of the program’s structure, you’re an ideal candidate for outpatient treatment. Because treatment takes place several days during the week, you may have to put off other plans. Additionally, it’s vital to have reliable transportation so you can be on time.
- Can process information: Learning how to manage cravings and deal with triggers takes soul-searching. You may uncover some uncomfortable truths about yourself and others. If you’re able to process feelings, disappointments, and even anxiety with the assistance of a peer group, outpatient addiction counseling at an addiction counseling center can be ideal.
Steps to Recovery’s Inpatient & Outpatient Addiction Counseling
Choosing the right addiction counseling center and level of care isn’t easy. We can help you make an informed decision regarding the next steps in your or your loved one’s recovery. At Steps to Recovery’s addiction rehab, we offer outpatient addiction counseling with licensed recovery housing. Additionally, our sister facility, Silver Pines Treatment Center, is a detox center that provides a comprehensive detox program.
Professional Rehab Counseling at Steps to Recovery
If you’ve tried addiction recovery counseling before but weren’t successful, you may have more success with our outpatient professional rehab counseling at Steps to Recovery. Collaborative addiction recovery counseling is successful when participants are flexible, they commit to connecting with peers, and they’re honest about their feelings and struggles. If a rigid rehab environment proves detrimental, you may find comfort in a still structured patient-centered setting. Contact Steps to Recovery in Levittown, PA today at 866-488-8684 to get started.